Thursday, February 04, 2010

Jacob...Isn't "Jacob" Afterall...


I finally got to have a conversation with Jacob...well, as close as we're going to get to a conversation for now. I talked, he wrote.

The first thing he wrote was this...
His name is NOT Jacob! What! He didn't seem to know how "Jacob" got started, but he was just rollin' with it. Haha.

I went out to eat with some friends the other night and had some wings left over. I figured I'd stop and drop them off to a friend. Jacob...I mean, Jude...was sitting up, which is rare, so I hopped out and asked if he wanted them. Usually he will give you that big smile, shake his head, and lay back down...but not this time, so I asked him if he wanted to talk for a minute. I ran and grabbed my journal out of my car and he didn't hesitate at all to write down "Jude Lopez". I apologized over and over for calling him Jacob all this time, but he didn't seem to mind, just tried to laugh.

I finally feel like I got to know a little bit of his story and a little bit about who he was. He's 28 and from Fort Worth, TX. He has a 2 year old daughter here in Indianapolis, but doesn't speak to her or her mother, which stinks. We talked about the track in Dallas/Fort Worth, faith, what I do with TDWM, our parents, the newspaper, our nicknames, experiences in the shelter, plans for the future, dogs, and tons of other stuff. Finally I asked what I'd been wondering the whole time...what happened to his voice? About 3 months ago he got knocked out in a fight and ever since then it has hurt too much for him to speak. He kept clearing his throat and I was like...ohh, is he going to say something? But he didn't. He said he did go to the doctor, but didn't say much more, so I guess I still don't know exactly what is wrong.

Right now, Jude says he is happy with where he is. He doesn't want to go into a shelter and he doesn't want to look for a job...and with his situation, I can understand that. But, either way, I'm still going to continue to love on him and get to know him. He really is a sweet guy...and I just can't get enough of his big smile! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment