Monday, September 21, 2009

First Timer...

A while back I wrote a little bit about my neighbor, Tessa. She is a 10-year-old with so much beautiful energy -- she gets excited about ANYTHING. The other day she came over to play with Maci, my new doggie, and I hated to tell her I was getting ready to leave. I told her I was on my way to go to outreach and like any kid, she began asking questions. I explained to her that me and some of my friends go out a couple times a week to hang out with our friends who live on the streets. I told her how we take food, clothes, soap, blankets, or whatever we happen to have had donated. After telling me how sad she felt when she saw homeless people, she told me she thinks about how hungry their stomachs must be. We asked her mom if it would be okay if she came with me -- her and her brother R.J. both tagged along. Tessa was bouncing off the walls with energy as usual and was ready to talk to EVERYONE under the bridge. We walked around as she introduced herself to almost everyone; she was in charge of passing out sandwiches and as soon as she finished that she ran to help hand out some sweatshirts that we had with us. One of our friends, Scott, who stays at Davidson Street Bridge jokingly asked her if she was going to stay all night -- she said, she couldn't because it was a school night...but she could sometime on the weekend. R.J. is 13 and I think understood what he was seeing a little better, he was awfully quiet. I love the innocence and open-mindedness of children. Tessa couldn't wait to go to the next stop and meet more people.
Soon enough it was time to run Tessa and R.J. back home. In the car there were a couple questions and I can't tell you what exactly was said, but Kim and I were explaining to them that God loves it when we love people and help people. Tessa asked us what God does when we do things like that. We told her He smiles, REALLY BIG! At one point we asked the kids if they go to church, the answer was no. Tessa asked right away if she could go with me sometime. So, I talked to Michelle, her mom, and Sunday Tessa came with me to church!
On the way she told me she had NEVER been to church, or Sunday school, or VBS, or ANYTHING at a church -- which may or may not be the entire truth, but it kind of broke my heart, but also scared me to death! Yes, seriously. She doesn't know about God or Jesus or any of this "Christian stuff". So, where do I even start! I was praying quickly for words! I was worried because I didn't want to mess up, as silly as that sounds. She is seriously like a blank canvas! But, then again that makes it so much easier -- there are not built up bitter feelings about God or religion or past experiences.
Church went well; we even had lunch afterwards and got to eat with a couple of my homeless friends who also go to Indy Metro. One of which was baptized this past week -- PRAISE THE LORD! (Please, keep Rob and his being obedient to the Lord in your prayers!)
Anyways, Tessa said she really liked church and wants to go back next week! Please, pray for her as well -- she is so easily influenced and has recently been in trouble at home and school -- I know that as soon as she lets Jesus get a hold of her she will be such a light. I know that only He can use all that energy she has!

No comments:

Post a Comment