Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Many Are Called...

So, God is crazy...and I mean that in a good way, seriously. He just does crazy things to get our attention sometimes -- but there is nothing wrong with that, especially for people like me who tend to not listen the first or second or third time he tells us something. At outreach tonight, I got to have an interesting conversation with a woman named Smicky, who may or may not have been pretty intoxicated, but nontheless. I haven't talked to her much before, but I've seen her quite a few times at one of the bridges we visit. She shared with me a lot of things about her life, some pretty scary things, like the fact that one more than one occasion she has tried to kill herself and also that she has lost two children, not to mention the fact that she lives under a bridge and from what I've been told sells her body. Smicky is only 32 and has been through a whole lot of junk in her life.Anyways, she told me how God has clearly spoken to her more than once. She was determined to share this with me and felt like she needed to warn me for some reason. Again, a lot of this is probably alcohol talking, but I'm used to listening in similar situations, so what the heck. She tossed some scripture around, but the one that stuck with me was this:

“For many are called, but few are chosen.”
-Matthew 22:14

This is so true. And I've heard this verse, but rarely take the time to think about how this was meant. This verse comes from the Parable about the Great Feast. Which in the NLT version reads:

Jesus also told them other parables. He said, “The Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a king who prepared a great wedding feast for his son. When the banquet was ready, he sent his servants to notify those who were invited. But they all refused to come!
“So he sent other servants to tell them, ‘The feast has been prepared. The bulls and fattened cattle have been killed, and everything is ready. Come to the banquet!’ But the guests he had invited ignored them and went their own way, one to his farm, another to his business. Others seized his messengers and insulted them and killed them.
“The king was furious, and he sent out his army to destroy the murderers and burn their town. And he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, and the guests I invited aren’t worthy of the honor. Now go out to the street corners and invite everyone you see.’ So the servants brought in everyone they could find, good and bad alike, and the banquet hall was filled with guests.
“But when the king came in to meet the guests, he noticed a man who wasn’t wearing the proper clothes for a wedding. ‘Friend,’ he asked, ‘how is it that you are here without wedding clothes?’ But the man had no reply. Then the king said to his aides, ‘Bind his hands and feet and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
“For many are called, but few are chosen.”
-Matthew 22:1-14

I guess my point is, this is something I see day in and day out. People are invited, by God, to be part of something wonderful, but they are too wrapped up in their lives and things and friends and stuff to bother with the Creator of the universe. I'll admit I have days and moments where I get a little too focused on me and my plans, but thankfully God reminds me what is waiting for me at the end of the life He has chosen for me. For some people things will click, and they will realize what is really important, but for others they hear what is being said to them, but never listen. God has invited EVERY person to this gathering, He's calling out to the ends of the earth. So if you hear him calling you...LISTEN! Show up to that great feast wearing what He has offered you -- SALVATION!

Please pray that I would remember to LISTEN to God as he speaks to me, that my own plans and desires would be surrendered to what His will is for my life, and that no matter what, I would TRUST God with everything I am. And I'll pray the same for you, friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment