Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Why Not Here...Why Not Now...

I was talking to a really great friend of mine tonight at outreach and she kind of helped me connect a few ideas that I had been struggling with. It's so easy to see all these needs, but isn't always easy to realized that I can't solve every problem or situation I encounter. If you look back through my posts you will see one about a friend of mine named Kevin. To make a long story short, he was beat up, hospitalized, and in pretty crappy shape. Kevin lives under a bridge and was not going to heal up very well if he ended up right were all this began. After tons of prayers from tons of friends and a whole lot of searching, God opened doors and Kevin was able to stay at a hotel for two whole weeks! After the two weeks was up, he really had no where to go. Since I met Kevin, months and months ago, I've always had this strong inclination to want to give him an extra hand up. Anyways, I told him he could sleep on my couch for a week (Without too many people knowing...Yes, a homeless guy sleeping on my couch -- wait until my Momma finds out! Haha!). The week was up today and I had to take him back to the bridge. It brakes my heart to see all those people living under there, espicallily when I've come to call so many of them friends...but I have to remember there is only so much you can do to help a person, sometimes you have to let them help themselves for a change. And this is where the conversation with Kim comes in. After visiting the same people in the same places around the city week after week and seeing nothing change, it can get really frustrating. We just have to do what Jesus calls us to do...and that is LOVE PEOPLE, period. So we will do that with every bit of our hearts and souls. I trust that if all I am capable of ever doing is handing out some food, clothes, and making friends with the people living on the streets that God will use that for His glory. People will come to know Him. It's a God thing and it's a heart thing. I pray that I would just remember to use every opportuinty, no matter how small it seems, to be the Lord's hand and feet.
Oh, and this song speaks to my heart EVERY single time I hear it. I remember the first day it was played on the radio -- all day on K-Love they had been talking about the new TobyMac song, and I couldn't wait! I love TobyMac! Anyways...Here it is. It just reminds me to not waste any opportuinity. Let me always serve my God right here and right now!


2 comments:

  1. Remember one thing. As Christians we are the light of the world, or direction signs if you will. We are called to plant seeds, not grow them. Only God can grow the seeds we plant, so really there is no failure on your end if you cannot help everyone all the time. Don't get too discouraged if you dont see much outward change. Maybe God is doing some amazing things on the inside. :) I really have enjoyed reading your blog. Very VERY encouraging stuff.

    ReplyDelete