Sunday, December 27, 2009

"Chatting" With Jacob...

By far, my favorite part of outreach is getting to talk to people! I love hearing stores and making friends. I've "met" Jacob a couple times under a bridge on Pennsylvania Street, but...he doesn't speak. The first couple times I just figured he didn't know English or something? Through friends, I eventually learned that his name was Jacob. Kim and I have joked around about who would get him to talk first. :)

Last Wednesday was the first time I'd seen him in a couple weeks and I was pretty excited. I just asked him if he remembered me and he smiled his BIG smile and shook his head yes. So, I continued..."Your name is Jacob, right?" He shakes his head yes. "Would you like anything to eat?" He smiles and shakes his head again.

After Amber and I went and fixed him a plate, I told her I was determined to get this man to speak to me. I started right back up with the questions. "Are you from Indianapolis?" and I just got a smile. Finally I said, "You know, you've never talked to me..." as he kept smiling, I asked why and he pointed to his throat. I felt awful at first, thinking this man was mute or something and I'm sitting here poking and poking and asking, practically begging to hear words come out of his mouth.

With a few more questions, I learned that he CAN talk, but it hurts him to do so. I obviously didn't get details. But, wondered how anyone knew his name if he didn't talk...apparently he had a short conversation with a good friend of mine and told her his name and he was on the streets because he lost his job.

I asked if he would talk to me one day and with that big, beautiful smile of his he nodded yes. We also made a deal that if we didn't get to talk, he would just write me a note...which is cool too! I'm excited to get to know Jacob and his story!

No comments:

Post a Comment