Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Missing My Friends...

I've been thinking about so many of my friends lately...and how much I miss them! Just wanted to share a few of them with you. I can't tell you how many people I've met out on the streets that have truly touched my life...I promise they've given me more than I've ever given them!

This is Juan and Denise. They recently moved to West Virgina and I haven't heard from them since the afternoon I drove down to the Greyhound station to say goodbye. I'll admit, they both have their struggles and have broken my heart a couple times, but I just can't help but love them. I hope they are doing great and are able to use this fresh start and keep themselves off the streets. This is my buddy, Rodney. He is such a sweet man. I haven't seen him since this winter, but last I heard from him he was staying in an apartment with a friend...I hope that is still the case. If you met this man you would just want to give him a big hug! At least that's the way I always felt. We almost always cracked the Bible open and he would share his favorite verses with me and I would share mine with him. We had tons of good conversations and he was always full of questions. Another thing I love about Rodney was how much he loved to help people...he was always taking "new" guys under his wing and setting them up with a few blankets and a spot next to him on the sidewalk. I miss this guy! Oh, Mickey! I've written about Mickey more than once and I could write about this man all night. He is such a beautiful soul. His heath is getting worse and I've heard his spirits are following suit. I really need to make it a priority to go visit him. After being released from the hospital he was placed in housing...Praise the Lord! He has been such a light in my life. I honestly don't think I've ever heard the man complain about anything! I'm so, so, so thankful for Mickey! For those of you who know him..."Oy vey!" :)
Here are a few other posts about Mickey --> "Update On Mickey...", "Music To My Ears, Literally...", and "Our Beautiful Friend, Mickey..."
Wilda! Wilda! Wilda! I LOVE this lady. Sadly, she was the very first person I ever "lost". It was so hard to learn that sometimes you will see someone twice a week every week forever and then all of the sudden they are gone. I looked forward to seeing her every time I was out! I loved her amazing heart and spirit. She had tons of notebooks full of beautiful poems and kids' Sunday school lessons and blueprints for a home she hoped to one day have. She'd draw and write while she sat on the sidewalk in front of a Mexican restaurant selling items she had knitted, been given, or found in the trash. She would sit there ALL day long in the hot sun and then return to her spot on the front porch of an abandoned house every night just to get some sleep and do it all over again. Unfortunately, her "husband" was a bad piece of the equation and was a huge roadblock to Wilda getting on her feet...but as strong a woman as she was, Lewis was her weakness and she couldn't see that he was walking all over her. I pray for Wilda often...and even if I never see her again, there is no way I'll ever forget her!

No comments:

Post a Comment